5 Top Rides for Road Trips
These vehicles will get you coast to coast and everywhere in between
There's no better way to see America's beautiful, diverse landscapes than by going on a road trip. But whether you're cruising solo or with family and friends, what you're driving is just as important as where you're driving.
Last year, Kelley Blue Book ranked the top road-trip cars. Here are some of the highlights:
- 2012 Ford Focus: Thanks to its sporty interior and impressive fuel efficiency, the Focus is a Kelley Blue Book favorite for students and young people who want to hit the open road. The standard Focus boasts up to 38 highway mpg, while the sedan with the SFE package gets up to 40 mpg.
- 2011 Toyota Avalon: Kelley Blue Book attests that the Avalon "floats along the road, absorbing all of the potholes so you don't have to." The sedan is easy to get in and out of and can easily fit three adults in the backseat. Got lots of luggage? No worries - the Avalon also has plenty of trunk space.
MSN Autos and Kiplinger also posted their picks:
- 2012 Volvo C30: The C30 gets points for comfort, which drivers will appreciate when they hit mile marker 400. Another perk is the "true built-in" navigation system that pops up from the dashboard, so you don't have to deal with a tangled power cord while you're trying to drive.
- 2011 Honda Odyssey: The Odyssey is ideal for families or groups, thanks to its Touring Elite package, which includes a 16.2-inch backseat monitor that can run split screen video. There's also a 115-volt plug for using laptops or electronic games, as well as 15 cup holders. Add all of that to class-leading fuel efficiency and a top-notch navigation system, and this minivan is ready to roll.
- Ford Mustang V6: The Mustang wins for best open-road convertible. If you don't own one, you can often find it in rental car fleets. An option package in recent models includes an HD radio and automatic climate control - a major plus when you're driving across different regions and altitudes. Even better, you can expect up to 30 miles per gallon on the highway.
Whether you want to cruise with the top down or simply keep your little ones quiet and content in the backseat, many automakers offer good options. A road trip is a time to make memories and see the country's magnificent vistas, so pick a vehicle that lets you check off all the top destinations on your list. And be sure to visit with us to find out how we can help you finance a new vehicle.